“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
—Jane Austen (Northanger Abbey)
Welcome to Novel Recommendations,
This site is designed to help readers find the kind of novels they want to read.
These aren’t my personal recommendations. They are novels that many readers have enjoyed.
Subjects and themes are in the right side menu; special categories are in the top menu.
This site is for you if you want to:
- Read full novels online free
- Find novels to read—either to buy novels or collect some titles and authors for your next library visit
- Use it as a free online reading library (without having to return anything)
The books on this site tend to be from one of three general categories
- more modern novels generally considered to have some literary merit
- ones that have remained popular for many years
The summaries are far from complete. They are only meant to give a quick impression of the novel so you can decide if you want to look into it further. Sometimes the summary is a general overview; sometimes it’s a short teaser.
I try not to give away any plot twists, or anything that happens very late in the story. Often, the initial inciting incident is revealed. Putting the novels into particular categories can also give away something that isn’t obvious from the very beginning.
I will try to continue to add titles, and possibly new categories.
On this site there are some affiliate links to Abebooks, Amazon, and Ebay.
“Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?”
—Henry Ward Beecher
“I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books.”
—Jorge Luis Borges